What is music to me and how did it develop?

What is music for me and how did it develop?


Everyone has at least some interest in music, be it the ‘chart followers’ or the ones that cannot live without it. I think I stray towards the more extreme end of that scale.

I have constantly grown up with music in my family. Something that people may not know so much is how influential music was from my dad. I grew up constantly having The Beatles drummed into my ears, along with R.E.M. Those are the two specific bands I can recall at the moment. My dad is the keen lover here. He always played music, always talked about it and was always going to live gigs. I remember when he took us all to see Shakira at Wembley Arena, V Festival when I was about 8 and I nearly when to see Greenday when I was in year seven or something – all down to him. He formed his own band, a tribute to The Beatles and grew up being told he resembled Paul McCartney which he actually really did! There are some photographs of him that really show the similarities, perhaps not so much in the picture below of us. He genuinely was obsessed though.


One moment which is very significant was when I was about eight. My dad arranged a party for his birthday at The Grand Hotel in Leigh-on-Sea, which unfortunately is no longer there. He wanted to perform with his band and also have my sister and I perform two songs; ‘Sk8r Boi’ by Avril Lavigne (a huge idol as I was growing up) and ‘Little Help From My Friends’ by The Beatles. My sister was a pretty big grunger at this point, she liked a lot of rock and I slowly merged into this, listening to all the bands she liked such as Linkin Park, Greenday, The Offspring, Sum41, The Red Hot Chilli Peppers etc. As I said earlier, Avril Lavigne was a huge idol and I liked to think I was a mini-me of her. I dressed for the occasion, making an outfit change from the grungy, tie round neck and baggy jeans look to something more sophisticated for The Beatles.

However, prior to all of this my dad got us both singing lessons with a teacher who I absolutely loved. Her name was Dee and I remember that she lived on Canvey but we only had a few lessons with her. Unfortunately we never carried them on afterwards even though I really wish we had. We were then ‘ready’ to perform in front of fifty friends and family. No – not ready at all. It’s got to be said that we did mess up quite a bit of it, however some of it wasn’t too bad…me and my sister got the timing wrong of when to begin singing and we were doomed from there but it’s still remains a pretty cool memory. I got to perform on stage in front of fifty-odd people with my dad and his band. I remember my mum’s best friend saying I made her cry from singing, however it must have just been due to how horrific I was…I don’t know.

Anyway, this is kind of where it all stemmed from and why I love singing so much. People don’t really know that part about my life. I don’t really tell anybody because I don’t really sing in front of anyone except my best friend and in the past, my boyfriends. Oh, and sometimes when I’m drunk. I sang a lot and pretty loud when I was drunk in Dusseldorf. Yay, liquid confidence! Admittedly I don’t like singing in front of people because I have no idea whether I actually have any talent. Some days I think I sound alright then other days I sound awful. Some songs I can sing and some songs I can’t but I do love singing no matter what. I like the feeling of it, as corny as it sounds, just like music or writing, the power singing holds enables some sort of release of emotions. I used to sing a lot when I was angry or sad.

Another thing is that I wish I could play guitar, believe me I’ve tried to learn. I had lessons in Year 6. I remember my teacher Mr Wheeler really well; he always promised he’d get us autographs from Busted because he taught James Bourne, but it never happened. People are always setting us up for disappointment! I bought a guitar a couple of years ago, just your standard Yamaha and honestly it got more action from my friends or guests that enter my house at uni than it did me. It’s so annoying. I need someone patient to just sit with me an hour-a-week and help me because it’s impossible for me to teach myself.

So there kind of describes how I’ve attempted to become some sort of musically talented being but failed miserably. I don’t know a lot about the technicalities of music but I’d like to learn more. I have learnt a little more than I used to, it also helps for when I’m reviewing live gigs or new albums. It makes me actually appear to know what I’m talking about.

I just love music. I love getting passionate about it, really letting a song sink deeper than the surface, really thinking about the lyrics and relating to what they entail. I also love when a song can automatically capture you, not just by the lyrics but by the melodies, by the combination of guitars, drums, vocals or any other instrument, just how one compilation can instantly become your ‘favourite song’ and then how stays stuck on repeat for days on end.
I love discovering new bands and finding those bands that you think no one else has heard of, then bonding with someone over them later on in life, realising that they always followed them too. I love how music has the capability to bring people together, even the strongest of strangers. I love how many different genres there are and how many different types of people there are that fit them. It amazes me how diverse the music industry is now with genres and sub-genres forming in every corner. There is honestly so many that I can’t even define music specifically any more.

I appreciate a lot of music. Obviously everyone has their favourites. For me it is indie, alternative and drum and bass stuff but I’m pretty open to anything. I don’t like when people limit themselves, turning down any opportunity to try something new because they are stubborn and actually kind of arrogant about music. I used to be a bit like that but now I realised it is ridiculous to be negative about an artist because they don’t tick your personal boxes. This does not mean that they are not talented; it just means that they are just not for you; however they will be appealing through someone else’s eyes.

Yeah, so that’s kind of what music is for me, and where I developed my admiration for it. I don’t think music has to come from others around you, I think it’s something people just end up discovering. I have grown to appreciate it more and more. I also love that I combine all the things I love doing with music. I can listen to live music, take photos of live music and then write about it. Perfect. The admiration of music, as well as the talent for music doesn’t have to be inherited. It can be for anyone.


Take care,


Laura May.

Comments

Popular Posts