‘Don’t give up, one day you will look back and be glad you didn’t’.

The End of University, Goodbye, Grades and the Future


So, many of you are in the same position where it’s come to the end of your time at university. You have finished that final assignment and spent the last night in your Student Union as a student. Perhaps many of you already have future plans, future jobs or placements set in stone or, maybe you’re like me and haven’t got a clue what your future has in store. In fact, currently you just have way too much free time to make use of, so you spend the majority of it watching endless episodes of those box sets you’d been dying to make a start on. For me it’s the O.C! I found myself scrolling through Tumblr today when I came across a image that had this quote, ‘Don’t give up, one day you will look back and be glad you didn’t.’. I think it’s important to be happy with decisions you make in life, in order to keep moving forwards instead of looking back. Without going into too much detail, first year was a pretty horrific one for me and I can say I have carried on, even with some struggle and finished with a degree.

My student picture I took before I started 3 years ago. Apparently this does not look remotely like me?
I have probably said this before, but I will say it again. There is so much more to university than just the piece of paper at the end of it that gives you your overall mark and degree. Quite clearly that is an important part of university and it’s the main reason all of us apply, however there are so many other factors. It helps us to be independent, to grow and mature, to discover ourselves and to meet new and exciting people who if you are lucky like me, will remain in your life for a very long time – if not forever. If you have finished university, if you have taken three years out of your life and dedicated it to this lifestyle of struggle, hurdles and terror, then I tell you what, you have achieved something amazing. Even if you don’t receive the desired grade you set out for, if you don’t manage to grab that first or 2.1 you dreamt about, as long as you are happy and you enjoyed your time then it is all worth it. We’d be kidding ourselves if we didn’t hate it at some point, if we didn’t change our minds about our degrees and we didn’t just want to give up. Life is hard, and if it was a breeze we wouldn’t be truly living. I began university studying English Language and Media Production. I then dropped Media Production because I felt it wasn’t right for me and changed to a joint with Media Studies. Finally I dropped any relation to Media, even though it was a subject I shone in, and I decided to carry on with a Single Honours in English Language Studies. It’s been really difficult, for any of you who think it is like English Literature, it’s really not.



I wrote a dissertation about the use of English in German advertising. I got a grade and in fact I surprised myself and got a 2.1. Never ever compare yourself to anyone else, because if there’s something I have learnt from being at university, no matter what you get, there will always be someone better than you and there will always be someone worse. We all work at different standards and what we individually see as a grade to be over the moon about will change from person to person. There is no doubt that I could have probably worked harder but the truth is, I have thoroughly enjoyed these past three years and there’s no point in thinking what I could change because it’s done now.

Over the past few days I said goodbye to four of my housemates and when one of them left on Sunday it hit me the most. Now there were two…it’s not the same with just myself and Charlie in the house and soon it will be my turn to leave. It’s quite lonely and with just two people living in a six-bed house you can get a glimmer of what it’s like. There are some people I will never properly have to say goodbye to because I know they will be sticking around for a lot longer, but there are some people I will probably never see again. It’s a weird feeling, it’s strange knowing that only a few minutes up the road is Winchester’s campus where it’s hard to avoid people, but now that it’s technically Summer, it’s nothing but a ghost town. Winchester isn’t like a lot of universities, it’s a small ‘city’ with one proper club and it’s not great for nightlife, but if you have the right people with you then you can make anything a good night. Winchester is intimate, it’s beautiful and safe. With intimacy comes great aid, you get to know your lecturers and most importantly they know you, personally. You aren’t just a face drowning in a sea of people, you’re a face with a name and a personality.



The past few weeks of university have made it end with happiness and positivity. I was able to celebrate my 21st birthday, go to my first and final Summer ball which was something I will never forget, I got to attend my final few nights at our student union as a student, and also celebrate my housemate’s 21st. I did well to attend my final BOP (Wednesday nights at Winchester’s SU) sober-ish where I was able to remember the night, but that contrasted with the End of Term Party which I barely remember; ending university as it began…completely smashed.

So, where do I go from here? Ridiculously I haven’t made any plans. There are a few plans floating about in my head but I’m quite enjoying time to myself, relaxing and spending time on the passions which have been slightly pushed aside recently. There will be a lot more writing from me, writing about music, writing about life, photography and hopefully some travel plans. Wait and see because I’m as unsure as you all are. Winchester you’ve been awful, you’ve been miserable and claustrophobic, but most of the time you’ve been very special and I’m happy to have called you my home. I will be leaving Winchester and Hampshire with a huge smile on my face, and a great deal of memories which I will never forget. 

Don't be sad it's over because really, your life is only just beginning. 

For now, take care.

Laura May.


Inspirational songs:

Coldplay - A Sky Full of Stars
Coldplay - O

Comments

Popular Posts