Winter Wonderland and The Christmas Tag

London's Winter Wonderland and The Christmas Tag


So yesterday I went into London spite waking up with a cold/flu, because myself and my friend Sarah had booked to go to the Circus and Ice Kingdom at Winter Wonderland! It only took a few steps off the train at Liverpool Street to fall into a Christmas craze of near a hundred people of all ages dressed up as Santa, cheering and spreading their spirit amongst the other travellers. I couldn't help but smile at this, regardless of my less than a hundred percent health. 



It was great seeing Sarah as we don't get to see each other often. We met over five years ago at a The Rocket Summer concert at the Astoria in London of July, 2008 and that venue isn't even there any more! We started the day by having a meal at Cafe Rouge in Leicester Square which was lovely, then we took a little stroll along Oxford Street where I bought yet another jumper, before heading to Winter Wonderland. 

Unfortunately, due to our lack of organisational skills we got there too late and missed what we thought was our spot for The Magical Ice Kingdom, but after looking at the tickets later we were pleasantly surprised that it was in fact just the circus we missed, which neither of us were as fussed about. We got to enter Winter Wonderland through fast track because we pre-booked, but everyone else had to queue and a woman sat on a high chair was repeatedly shouting that the wait time was 45 minutes to an hour.


When you enter the Christmas covered Hyde Park you are instantly greeted by bright lights, stalls, rides and a strong smell of waffles, roasted chestnuts and log fires. As you make your way around the wonderland you are introduced to several scents, and themes from German Bavaria to the North Pole. Although we didn't really do that much it was just nice to embrace the atmosphere and soak up the spirit. Unfortunately it was quite expensive to do things and there were far too many people everywhere.

One thing that was incredible was The Ice Kingdom. Inside it was a chilly, -8 degrees which had your fingers and toes quivering, as well as your lips. We huddled round the frozen fairyland observing the precise and beautiful ice/snow sculptures. We also experienced a bed made entirely of ice (not ideal) and observed from a far, the snow slide. I didn't quite like the idea of sliding my bum down the ice after already encountering the ice bed beneath my cheeks, just long enough for a picture. The strangest thing was coming out of the Arctic-style Marquee and feeling the contrast between temperatures. It's not usual that you'd go from being inside at a lower temperature than the outside - it felt like summer compared! 

Sitting on the bed made of ice and a random photo bomber.

To top of the day, we also managed to bump into one of my best friends and his girlfriend who just happened to be visiting Winter Wonderland at the same time. So all in all, an extremely Christmassy day, now the rest of the post will consist of my version of 'The Christmas Tag'. A lot of bloggers have been doing these and my best friend Michaela (Visit her blog here: http://michaela-la.blogspot.co.uk/) posted it just yesterday and tagged me to do it, so here are my responses to the questions.


The Christmas Tag

Do you prefer a real Christmas tree or a synthetic one?
We have always, always had one real Christmas tree! It doesn't feel right without a one. It's not the same without having to hoover up needles on the 6th of January and having that authentic smell of pine swooping through the house. We have two living rooms in our house and the one that isn't used as much contains an artificial tree which I have to say looks just as pretty!

You're in a coffee shop, it's December, what do you pick up?
Right, up until this year I haven't been a fan of hot drinks. I don't like tea and I don't like coffee and I haven't really been fond of hot chocolate until one cup of my housemate's Luxury Hot Chocolate from Whittard's and I fell in love. So I'd have to say a hot chocolate, covered in marshmallows. After reading Michaela's response to this question I want to try Costa's honeycomb one!

What's your favourite colour scheme for decorating the tree?
I absolutely love red and gold at Christmas, but this year in our student house we had a bluey purple and silver colour scheme on our tree which looked really good. We haven't done the tree in my house at home yet so I can't really remember the scheme, but we definitely have red and gold in there somewhere!

Giving or receiving?
It's funny in our house at Christmas. We all just tell each other what we'd want and get those for each other. I don't really mind it at all. I'd much prefer something I want then something I wouldn't make use of. We don't go crazy with gifts, we just buy a few things or one big thing for each other. I much prefer giving presents, I like seeing a smile on someone's face when they receive what they want, even if they have asked for it previously. Admittedly I do like when my family attempt at getting me something they think I'd like though.

To mince pie or not to?
Christ - no way! Mince pies are not good.

What's your traditional Sunday lunch?

We are pretty basic in my house. Our traditional Sunday lunch is a meat with roast potatoes and vegetables. People seem to find it strange but my mum always puts mushrooms with our roast...I'm starting to think that's not acceptable?

What do you wear on Christmas day?
I always find Christmas day an excuse to make an effort in my own house. I am someone that makes an effort most of the time but I always wear a pretty dress and make my hair and make up look nice, or I put on a nice jumper. My mum has this top she always wears at Christmas with sparkles on it. It's the only time it gets a trip out the wardrobe which I think is the sweetest.

What's your favourite Christmas song?
I had this conversation with Sarah yesterday when we both discovered we have the same favourite which is, Fairytale of Newyork. It's very Irish!

What's your favourite Christmas film?
I like Elf, The Grinch and The Santa Clause films with Tim Allen!

Do you open presents before or after lunch?
We always open them before lunch because I always remember the scent of food as we're peeling apart wrapping paper.


Hope you enjoyed reading a little insight into my Christmas experience! 

Take care,

Laura May

Comments

Popular Posts