Even in Barcelona there are Good and Bad Days

Hola!

Yesterday marked a month since I first arrived in Barcelona. The juxtaposition of the previous two weeks has further heightened my faith assuming that when things go bad, they will always fix themselves. After a couple of failed attempts to attend work, the week before last left me house bound for most of it´s entirety. I felt myself getting ill, and by Tuesday I had already lost my voice. The school was great, and very understanding. They comforted me with the knowledge of past assistants also getting ill in the first few weeks and demanded I went home and rest. I felt annoyed at myself that I was already having to take days off from the school when I hadn´t even got the chance to meet all of the students yet. However, there was no way that I could have even forced myself to speak loudly, let alone display enthusiasm as well.  

In most cases when we are ill, we feel drained and our emotions become more apparent. We like the comfort of our own bed, our own house and family, but experiencing being ill in another house, hundreds of miles from my own, wasn´t quite the same. As I mentioned in my previous post, I am very lucky with my host family, they are really fun, easy-going and also sympathetic. The reality of illness was a cold, a very temperamental and inconvenient cold, but alongside that I suffered from migraines. I am prone to headaches and migraines. I often get headaches at least once a week, even when I do my best to avoid them. Some people are fortunate in that they do not suffer from them; mine sometimes like to hang around for a few days…they´re extremely clingy. Sometimes I can cope with headaches, but when they develop from the annoyance stage to just a huge pain in the ass, they become unbearable, leaving me pretty useless.

I hadn´t felt too homesick until this point. I began worrying about everything, and for someone that worries a lot, when I start, it takes a lot for me to stop. I just wanted someone I was comfortable with and could sit with in person and vent to, but this wasn´t possible. I doubted my perseverance to continue the program for eight months, and I guess this is reasonable. It is a long time, as much as I try to persuade myself that it isn´t however it´s already been a month. At first the weeks seemed slow, but now they are flying by. It´s probably because ´time flies when you´re having fun´, and perhaps at first I wasn’t sure how I felt. So being ill resulted in a lot of negative thoughts, but the beginning of the following week I was almost a hundred percent. My energy levels had returned to normal, and in addition my negative moods had nearly vanished.

Last week was a good week! I had fun at the school and enjoyed interacting with the students. I really feel that I have settled in here and actually began to make friends. ”Ooo friend. Barcelona friend.” You totally have to be an Inbetweeners fan to get that. Honestly though, having friends makes a big difference. I wondered if I would meet people that I would feel comfortable with, and I think I am starting to. You may be curious as to how it´s possible to get lonely when you are constantly surrounded by kids and teachers at the school, or your host family, and as much as I adore them all, it´s not the same. It´s important to take some time-out from the more obvious parts of the experience associated with the school and family, and just chill out with people whilst enduring your age. I am still only 21, I need to explore, drink, socialize with strangers, and make stories that will be stories to tell for years.








Unfortunately in Barcelona you need to be careful, much like many foreign cities, but the rumours you hear are true; there is a lot of pick pocketing and other such crimes. This makes me incredibly aware of myself, and increases my alcohol age to higher than it used to be back in England. This is probably the part that is the most disappointing. More often than none, you can enjoy a night with no drama, but sometimes things do happen, and that fear is always leering in the back of my mind. This program means that a lot of us are situated in different areas of Barcelona city, and outside of it, meaning that we are often finding our way home alone at night.  Sadly there is nothing we can do about this, but we just have to take more care. It´s frustrating but as we are pictured as tourists we are the main target. I´d like to think I know my way now and show confidence in my body language as I walk the streets of Barcelona, but sometimes my skin and general appearance is too much of a give away.

Right now, I am so excited for two events. The first being Thursday because that´s when my friends arrive. I cannot wait to have Matt, Rhys and Jason here for the weekend and to go out with them and some people from the program. I know this weekend is going to be a good one. These boys have become pretty close friends of mine since I met them in summer, and they are a lot of fun to go out with, even thinking about it now is getting me pumped for the weekend.ç

The second event is the 19th December, the day that I fly home for Christmas! I booked my flights home for Christmas back in August because it was incredibly cheap. I originally booked to fly home on the 23rd, but after talking to my school, I have changed my flight (booked another) to the 19th so that I have an extra four days in England. It will be worth the extra 50 euros. I wanted to be able to have more of the run up to Christmas at home. Even though I´m not a huge Christmas person, I feel this year may finally be a good one, with a lot of positive feelings as there isn´t that much I can fault about 2014. I can´t wait to catch up with friends and see my family. I don’t have a lot of time to contact people here as I´m busy Monday to Friday with school during the day, Spanish lessons on the evenings of Mondays and Wednesdays, then trying to include family time and occasionally meeting with other assistants.

However, although I´m excited I´m coming home I also like that I think I am going to miss Barcelona, and hopefully be looking forward to coming back. Except for the fact I do not want to move families, I say this without any knowledge of my second family yet. I live in a perfect location and I have so much fun with my family. The children are adorable and always make me laugh even if the twin boys don´t speak a lot of English. The six year old girl makes the most effort. We do Spanish/English lessons where we exchange words and sentences. As for the parents, the fact that they went out drinking at the weekend and ended up in a club called Jamboree ´til half 4, whilst I was home by 3 gives you an inkling of their personalities. Also, during the week we always have the funniest conversations at dinner before moving to the sofa to watch another episode of Orange is the New Black. I just don’t feel ready for my routine to change yet. I´m sure my next family will be just as great so I´m trying not to worry. My experience with my first family has proved to me how easily I can make myself at home in someone else´s family.

It won´t always be easy; the language barrier is my biggest problem. It was the host Mum´s birthday at the weekend and they organized a surprise birthday party. It was from 2-7:30, and in between this time there were a few intervals of me standing awkwardly pretending to understand, or just sitting on my own. It´s not a case of being shy but instead, physically being unable to communicate with people. If I don´t stop myself now, this will lead to a huge rant about how I wish we were pushed more to learn another language and that the majority of native English speakers are insanely lazy with only speaking our mother-tongue. Perhaps I will leave that for an entirely separate blog post…

Overall, I´m feeling really happy here and I have settled in well. It’s normal and justifiable that some weeks or days will be better than others just like with any person´s life, but I think the good days and week will always override the rest. It´s similar to the comparison of a bad student and a good student, because yes, a bad student may piss you off, but then a good student will quickly wipe away that annoyance and have an impact on you. Admittedly I haven´t had many bad students at all. There are too many lovely students! One thing I never understand is why the students that make the most effort in school were almost always looked down on, or made to feel vulnerable.

There was a boy in a class who’s English is such a high standard for his age, and he always goes to extra lengths with his work, but his partner for an activity decided to embarrass him by making jokes about his efforts, which resulted in the poor boy crying. I felt so sorry for him, and attempted to put a smile on his face by praising him. I guess you will know the difference between these kids when they´re older, and who will be the more successful one. You can also guess straight away which student I prefer out of these two…

I apologize for my lack of posts, preferably I´d like to have written a post every week, but I actually don´t have a lot of time to sit down and write. I have written this post in my three hour lunch break today, so instead of sitting on Facebook I have used my time more productively. Again, I will try not to leave it as long next time, although I can´t make promises.

Take care,


Laura May.

Comments

Popular Posts