Time For An Update!


Right now I’m sitting in my university library and for the first time in quite a while I’m going to write something that isn’t academic. For the past few weeks of my life I have spent nearly every waking moment in this library and although I am slow with progress, I’m finally making some. I have been so busy recently, not only being in the library but in the past month I have been to Canterbury to visit some friends, had my sister come visit and even gone back home to Essex.

At every point in your university degree you will probably find you have moments of doubt, be it academically, mentally, or socially. I barely remember my first year, it all feels like a blur and I have come so far since then. It seems after speaking to a few people, I am not the only one that didn't really enjoy their first year. Admittedly, I often doubt myself about things, especially when it comes to academic work. Repeatedly I have said how my degree may not have been the wisest choice but when I’m sitting here writing my dissertation, using English language with a mixture of something more media-based I can see how it fits and relates.I struggle a lot with my degree, I have never set myself up for expectations because then you’re always out for some sort of disappointment if you don’t achieve a desired grade. I just think whatever happens, happens and sometimes I will be disappointed and sometimes I will be happy. I’m one of the people that if they just scrape the 2.1 boundary then they are over the moon because for me that is really good. I guess everyone works at different standards, so never get yourself down if someone is getting better than you, even when you're achieving your best.

A lot of the time I can be the laziest person and a really bad student. I am known to leave things to the last minute and when you’re at university then this probably isn’t the best of moves. As a lot of you will know, if you read my blog posts frequently, or know me personally, Winchester has provoked a mixture of feelings in my head. I am insanely fickle on a day-to-day basis but finally I feel that Winchester has stolen my heart. [Insert puke noises here]. Prepare for the next few sentences to be pretty soppy.
This last semester is definitely a whirlwind, whilst it has undoubtedly been the most stressful one to date, it has also been amazing – two huge contrasts. I have clicked with a new group of people and grown incredibly close to them in such a small space of time. It often leaves me wondering why we never knew each other before, but I don’t dwell on that because I really do think they will remain in my life a lot longer than the last month or so we have of university. You know the kind of people that just make you feel comfortable and that don't judge you on things - well that's them!
I am not being naïve and saying that your degree and grade doesn’t matter because that’d be stupid. I didn't decide to come to uni to spend thousands of pounds on not caring about my grades; however there is a lot more to the university experience than the work. I was so worried I would always have negative memories of this place but that is definitely not the case. Winchester is a special place and if you go to this university then the experience really is what you make of it due to it's size and limited entertainment.Three years is a huge amount of time and of course over that time things aren’t always going to run smoothly. University provides all sorts of memories. You will meet people you love, people you dislike, and those that are just all part of the experience. I cannot believe how soon it all is to ending, it hasn’t quite hit me yet. I can’t believe it’s been almost a year since I took the plunge and moved to Germany for four months as part of Erasmus. I remember how I felt when that all ended and that feeling is going to be a hundred times worse when university finishes.
I have no plans. I have no time to make plans at this current moment in time but I am really excited at all the possibilities. I’m scared, but a good kind of scared. I’m ambitious and I hope to fulfil as many ambitions as I can before I settle down. Since talking to a friend, my current ideas are to move to Germany again but this time to partake in an intensive course of German so I can get to grips with the language and make the reality of moving out there more prominent. That was something that annoyed me when I was there before, I didn't make an effort to learn the language. I really, really do love the country, hence why I’m even writing my dissertation about it. That’s another thing that I’m so pleased about. Since posting my questionnaire the other night I have had such a great amount of responses which are definitely aiding my argument, so fingers crossed with that!

Today I also made a decision to purchase a reading ticket today! I went back in 2008 and it was incredible. The line-up never seems to disappoint me, but I can be a typical girl when it comes to the lack of washing so I’m not sure how I’m going to deal with that, but we will see. I am so excited that A Day to Remember, Enter Shikari, Warpaint, Disclosure, Imagine Dragons and Bombay Bicycle Club are part of the line-up. Bombay's new album is so addictive. Since I went to Canterbury for the weekend of Valentine’s day I have had it on repeat. It’s such a great album for summer and I really want to see them live. They’re a band I kind of forgot about until recently. I also forget Lucy Rose did vocals for some of their songs too. I hope we get to hear new material from her soon.
Man, I can’t wait for all my work to be done so I can have fun and not feel guilty about it, every time I’m not doing work I get a panicky feeling in my stomach, like this half an hour I have spent writing this. Oh well, I guess there needs to be a balance between work and play. I still find time to go out and get drunk too, like any good student does. It’s going to be really strange moving everything out the house I have spent the last two years in. It’s going to be weird moving back to Essex too and everyone going in different directions. I guess it’s called growing up. Ah, I am going to be twenty-one soon! I have to start acting responsible and adult-like. Why do we have to grow up? It sucks. I guess it needs to happen one day, and that day is nearing!  
I'm going to leave a couple of songs here that I've been listening to a lot whilst spending time in the library if you want to check them out:
Bombay Bicycle Club - Luna, Feel (In fact the whole of their new album!)
Foals - Prelude, Provinence and Milk and Black Spiders
Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip - Stunner
Warpaint - Love Is To Die
Foxes - Youth
Daughter - Smoke
Young Kato - Break Out
 
Laura-May

Comments

Popular Posts