Rhine Kirmes - Farewell Dusselorf!

Last night after receiving a really decent grade of a solid 2.1 for my first paper, it was time to hit the finale of the BIGGEST fun fair on the Rhine – Kirmes. 



The stretch of the Rhine that runs through Dusseldorf was surrounded by people as the sun set over it. The lights from the funfair shone into the sky, as well as reflecting off the river and the crowd awaited the fireworks. I honestly have never seen anything quite so beautiful before and as I stood there watching the multi-coloured bursts of fire shatter into the sky it made me realise how good my life was. I was standing with just a fraction of the friends I have made here who represent all of them in their entirety. Without any over-exaggeration, these four months have undoubtedly been my favourite months to date and it’s left me optimistic for what the future has in store. In a split second I realised how happy I was and how it’s unfortunate that come Monday, the reality of heading back to the UK will dawn on me. It felt like, metaphorically, the fair and fireworks wrapped up my time here, leaving Dusseldorf with this as the last significant memory. 

I guess all good things must come to an end at some point but I am lucky enough to have experienced it and will treasure each memory of each person and each trip I was able to go on. I was able to visit Amsterdam, Brussels, Rome, and of course parts of Germany I hadn’t yet discovered. I have met a lot of diverse people, people from not only other parts of Europe; such as Spain, Ireland, Italy, Greece and so on, but other parts of the world. It goes without saying that they are, and will remain a huge part of the memory. 

So thank you to all of which were a part of it. I have been able to open my eyes to a lot of different cultures and lived abroad which I think is a huge accomplishment. I came over the fear. I stuck it out through the adjustments and came out feeling so insanely proud of myself. I was worried about a lot before I came and even when I first got here. Now I realise that I needn’t ever have worried because it is possible to make anywhere your home. I really felt like it was becoming home to me and that I grew to feel comfortable here. 

Dusseldorf I will miss you and everyone that I met along the way. I wish you all the best of luck in the future with wherever life takes you. Oh, and as for all of you back home - I can’t wait to see your faces very soon! It’s been long overdue.

Take care,

Laura May.

Comments

Popular Posts